11 November 2014

Learning from mistakes


I am human. I have made mistakes, and some have been bigger than others. I think the most important thing to remember when this happens is to allow yourself to learn and move on from it. If you have done wrong to others all you can do is ask for their forgiveness by showing your remorse. If you do that and they still don't want anything to do with you then just move on.

Now don't get me wrong, this hurts - a lot. But, that being said, if people cannot handle you at your worst then they certainly don't deserve you at your best. For example, earlier this year I made some mistakes and I unintentionally hurt people I thought I cared about and who cared about me. I wasn't forgiven and instead any blame they harboured themselves was pushed on to me and that was not nice, at all - even more so because they were people I thought genuinely cared about me.

At the time it was the most excruciating thing I had ever gone through and I hated every second of it. Looking back now though I can see how good it was for me. Instead of being stuck in that suffocating environment I left and found something much better. From then until now I have been working on myself to make sure that nothing like that ever happens again.

You see, to me it was a life lesson. It's something that I will never forget, but for the right reasons. When I look back at that time in my life later on I will be able to see that it gave me courage, wisdom, empathy and more strength than I ever thought one person could muster - let alone little old me.

That's the thing about mistakes, it takes a second to make and sometimes a lifetime to rebuild what you had, sometimes you never will get back what you had. But do you know what, sometimes things do just happen for a reason. Life is changing all the time, and that's okay. Half of the time you just need to change with it and hope that whatever change it brings is for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment