29 January 2018

babe, just be yourself



You know the saying, "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken". Well, if you'd have said that to me three months ago then I would have told you that it was bullshit. I categorically did not want to be myself, I wanted to be just like everyone else. But then I went to therapy, gained some beautiful and insightful friends who filled my head with the knowledge that I am good enough, and that I can do this - whatever this may be. And well, now I feel unstoppable. 

A few days ago was the awareness for the syndrome that I have. Last year I wrote about how much I hated it, and everything that it had made me. In the year that has passed since writing that I feel like everything has changed; I have changed. I have a syndrome, but that's the smallest part of me and if people can't see past that then that is their own problem - not mine.

It's time that I made the little girl who wasn't afraid dream, and the teenager who let other people stop her dreaming, know that we can do whatever the fuck we work for. Life is too short to get weighed down in other people's opinions. I'm all about making myself proud, and living for me and what I want. Sometimes that might make me seem selfish, but I'm all about doing what I need to do to get by. 

People love me for being me, I don't need to be the "depressed" friend, or the one who "buys" people for others to like me. Sometimes you just have to realise that you're more than fine just being yourself. I feel so lucky to have the best group of people around me at the moment who just tell it to me straight. And, quite frankly, I wouldn't trade their honesty for the world. Believe me when I say that quite often all you need is the threat of a slap and someone to tell you to lighten up when you lose your perspective. 

I think what I'm really trying to say is that it's ok to be yourself, and to love yourself exactly as you are. People will come, and go, but as long as you love yourself then that's all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment